Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Forever Homes

At the risk of starting a great debate (or maybe in the hopes of it...I can be that contrary) I wanted to talk about adopting "mutts". I use that term with love and mean nothing derogatory in the least. For the record, I love all critters...not just pure-breds. As you've already discovered, I loved Westminster. I loved meeting so many different breeds. I think there are lots of neat aspects to a lot of those breeds. But I think that most people can find the perfect companion for themselves, the perfect addition to their family, by adopting a mixed-breed from a shelter, through their local vet, or from some sort of rescue agency. And let's face it, there are way too many pooches--and kitties--available. It's shameful how many pets are cast out in this society. (Uh-oh...did you hear that scraping sound? It was me getting my soapbox out.) "Mutts" frequently combine some of the best attributes of a given breed, without some of the inherent problems and medical issues plaguing some of the pure breeds.

Okay, am running out of time this morning. More on this later. But for now, let me just say that two of my friends recently rescued dogs from local shelters...one about 3 hours before said sweetie was scheduled to be put down. *Congratulations* Sydney and Maggie-Posh on finding your forever homes!

3 comments:

Lythrum said...

Hi Kat :) I agree with you, I think there's values in preserving full-blooded animal lines, but for most cases a mixed breed from the pound is the way to go. I don't think that I've ever had anything full-blooded in my life. I've adopted one cat from the pound and taken in several strays.

Anonymous said...

Am enjoying your blog immensely, dear; just haven't had time to comment. Much, much madness (g'mom in hospital w/severe flu & possible dementia) & stress. Loved your post about forever homes & the pic of the Irish wolfhound. *hugs*

David said...

Miss Sydney loves Kat-she told me so herself!