Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Beware the Cat's Ire!

It's like "Wild Kingdom" around here! Gwyn and I were walking the other day. I find myself consistently explaining to people the biggest difference (to me) about living with a sighthound is understanding things like the fact that a grey who has an indoor cat at home that is respected will still go after a cat outside. It's just a different beast and is fair game to the sighthound brain. So it's not uncommon for Gwyn to perk up when we see a cat on one of our walks.
Initially we thought it was just one cat lying at the edge of the road. Then we realized there was another cat in the ditch.
While I wasn't able to snap a picture, I quickly realized the cats were stalking a squirrel (or two) that was in the yard...as Gwyn and I drew closer, the squirrel(s) took off.....And then...the glaring began! The one cat who'd been closest to catchong a squirrel was NOT happy with us!



I guess that's where the term "glaring" of cats came from.
 Glaring of cats; a company of cats very uncertain of each other.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
They do it well!

3 comments:

Hazel said...

I've not heard of "a glaring of cats" before but enjoyed the pictures and the story. Learned something new!

What Remains Now said...

You are right, that is a glaring cat.

Sue said...

Gwyn, We have some Ninja cats here as well. They really need putting in their place. How dare they stare at us. Polly